Friday, December 5, 2014

An Herbal Fix for Those Stinky Sneakers Just in Time for the Holidays!

Found An Herbal Recipe to Fix Those Stinky Sneakers!
Bought Some USA Made Crew Socks
Mixed Up the Recipe in An Old Casserole with a Wooden Spoon
Put the Sock in a Tall Glass to Fill It
Tied Those Socks with Festive Ribbons
and Put Them in a Festive Plastic Bag!
Always looking for good ideas for Christmas presents that I can make.  A few people who shall remain nameless may have stinky sneakers.  I'm here to help with that problem, herbally speaking.  I really like the book The Naturally Clean Home by Karyn Siegel-Maier.  I have done my take on her recipe.  Here is the original with my notations in parentheses.

Herbal Sneaker Tamer #1

2 cups of dried sage
1-1/2 cups of dried lemon balm (I used lemon verbena and some lemon scented geranium.)
2 cups of cedar chips
1/2 cup of baking soda
2 tablespoons grated orange rind (I didn't use this ingredient, but I think I would use lemon peel.)
10 drops rosemary essential oil
5 drops lemon essential oil

Combine the dried herbs, cedar chips, baking soda and orange rind in a glass or ceramic bowl.  Stir with a wooden spoon.  Add the essential oils and stir to blend.  Place half of the mixture in a clean sock and tie the open end shut. (I used a rubber band and then tied on a ribbon.)  Stuff other sock with the remaining mixture and tie off.  Place a stuffed sock in each sneaker overnight or when not in use.  NOTE:  These are 'dusty' because of the baking soda.  When you aren't using them in your sneakers, store them in a plastic bag.  You may have to replace the baking soda after a while.

Very easy.  Smells delicious.  Think it will work very well.  I may make them for myself and another person who shall remain nameless.  I did buy women's socks.  I think this will work equally as well for men's socks and sneakers as well. 

Getting a bunch of rain here.  Hope you had a great day.  Getting items ready for my annual holiday giveaway.  May post the items and start things over the weekend if I get the chance.  Talk to you later.

2 comments:

Barbara said...

I LOVE this idea! Thanks

Lemon Verbena Lady said...

Glad you like it, Barbara! xo