Wednesday, July 8, 2009

From One Pest to Another!

It's another PEST! We just got rid of the four lined plant bug and it's on to the Japanese beetle! As The Herbal Husband said, "There are MILLIONS of them!" I said, I don't think that is quite true! I'm on constant watch now. Of course, they like pretty much everything we have roses even if they aren't blooming, raspberries, grapes and even if they aren't doing damage, they may just land and rest on other plants! We were lucky for a couple of years to not have too many. Well, they are back!

Here is my method of capture! Very low tech! I affectionately named the jar, Beetle Juice! I just put water and some dishwashing soap in the jar. I get out early in the morning or later in the evening. During the day I can get them, but they are more likely to be alert to my patrols and fly or drop to the ground! I am even resorting to catching them in my bare hands! Don't try this at home unless you are a trained professional beetle wrangler! Hope for warmer weather. We just got the last tomatoes planted.

No comments: