Sunday, June 28, 2009

Some of My Favorites are in Bloom!

Since I graduated with an art history degree from college, I had to get a famous painter into my mix in the garden. This is Hemerocallis 'Frans Hals'. Hemerocallis means beauty for a day! You have to be quick or you will miss them! One of my favorite edible flowers. You have to grow them without chemicals of any sorts to be able to eat them. I would not eat daylilies on the roadside. They make a fantastic presentation in a wine glass with a scoop of sorbet or ice cream and some fresh fruit or chocolate sauce. Don't forget to remove those reproductive parts, the stamens and pistils before you use it. The pollen can be the trigger for some people and their allergies so you want to take those parts out. It gives you a nice cup shape that fits into the glass. The lighter colors of daylily are also less likely to 'bleed' color than the darker shades. This big yellow daylily below is called 'Good Reason'. It was my Great Uncle Harry's favorite. My Great Aunt Roberta gave me a fan of this one before she died. She gave me a couple of others that I will share when they bloom. Do you have passalong plants that were shared? Please tell me about them.

2 comments:

Comfrey Cottages said...

so pretty! really, i am the one starting the pass along tradition for our family nancy. some of the way in the past family members were gardeners, but alas, the ones between them and i were not, so our family doesn't have any pass along plants right now. i am trying to start the tradition though:) thanks for sharing! been busy as a one armed paper hanger around here but had to swing in a throw you a hug:)

Lemon Verbena Lady said...

Thanks Leslie as always! Good to be the one starting the traditions! A hug back to you! ;>}