Sunday, January 4, 2009

A Perennial Problem for a Tender Perennial!

I was bragging about this rosemary several posts ago. It was blooming and happy. Now I'm not sure it's going to make it. The Herbal Husband loves his plants and maybe loves them a little too much. There is a fine line with a rosemary of overwatering or underwatering. Underwatering means you have a dead rosemary, but overwatering is equally as bad. This is a perennial problem in our house because I water differently than the Herbal Husband. He waters more frequently. I water after sticking my finger into the soil to my second knuckle and watering only if it is dry.

The brown tips are the give away in the picture below. The best place for a rosemary in our cold winter is in an unheated garage with windows to the south. We have that, but somehow this rosemary ended up in the bathroom with forced air heat and too much water. Miracles happen all the time in this house. When I think something has died and it comes roaring back!

I will leave you with an article written by my extension agent, Sandy Feather about rosemary care in the winter. We should have taken her advice. Hopefully this rosemary will make a comeback! I had a discussion with the Herbal Husband and we are going to move it to the garage tomorrow. It's a step forward!

No comments: